Saturday, June 8, 2013

Content Workflow: Do You Have One?

Nowadays the abundance of information available via smart phone device, laptop or desktop is enough to render most numb if attempting to keep up. There's a temptation to do so though, why else are people spending so much time online, or rendered neck down, eyes glued to their mobile screens flickering with flying text messages, news feeds and Facebook posts.

I regret a tablet purchase. I bought one thinking I'd use it to access Facebook at work. The interface is annoyingly different than that of the laptop. The texting gets tripped up sometimes and it feels tedious to retype over auto filled, incorrect words.

I hadn't thought the process through when I bought the tablet. It now seems a frivolous and discretionary souvenir of what happens when consumer goods go unused. It's a reminder of what technology is being utilized for and for what purposes.

Process is something landscape photographer Ansel Adams utilized when making images. His process  had a specific purpose in mind -  how to capture a full range of tones that would translate in the final photographic print. Adams formulated an exposure technique for various lighting conditions called the Zone System. This took time and research - something technology today seems to offer up easily.

I can't imagine what Adams' process would be today, not to mention what he'd think about Instagram photography. I suspect he'd find a method for using the smart phone device optimally. Ultimately whether the tool is an expensive professional camera or an IPhone,  it's the end result - namely the image, that's what comes from the process.

At some point every photographer takes a position on how digital technology has either helped the craft or is injuring the industry as a whole. Being a hybrid artist, I welcome any new tools that add to the end result. I'm not a purist when it comes to art works. The only exception I uphold is not messing with the image when it comes to photojournalism. Art expressionism and creativity is one thing - documenting an event is quite another.

Technology is the tool. It is the user that needs to come to terms with how to implement the machine into your life. How much technology do you need and how will you develop a workflow so that the process (how you use email, computer, social media, photography) doesn't overwhelm you? That is the challenge we all face.

The conversation whether a image is worthy of being called a fine art photograph reminds me of 'Art is in the eye of the beholder' conundrum.  Not every image is art no matter how many filters are applied, just as not every Facebook update is going to garner 'likes' and reposting by connections.

Content has become the new social currency. When creating your own, keep it authentic and meaningful to you.  Find your workflow as you've found other strategies that work. Using time wisely and where your interests lie is a great first step.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. This is the very reason why I stayed away from Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I began to feel overwhelmed in trying to keep up with weak connections whom I do not ever physically see. Balance is key. Nice thought process in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have stayed away, but was told for my writing career that I couldn't. Thus, I have a Twitter account that I use to connect with more people I don't personally know than I use Facebook with people I do know.

    " Not every image is art no matter how many filters are applied, just as not every Facebook update is going to garner 'likes' and reposting by connections." This really resonated with me.

    This is a really well written piece. I have no critiquing comments. Your voice is really developing, and I like how it is a blend of professional and familiar.

    ReplyDelete