Monday, May 20, 2013

Public vs. Private Persona

My head is spinning from the many user id's and passwords needed to navigate through any given day. Life was simpler when an email account was still an exciting aspect of one's identity. It felt important to hear the 'You've got mail' announcement, and by now maybe you know I'm not twenty years old.

Age is something you feel in your head and in your body, if you don't take care of it. I aim to take care of the only real estate that is important to me, once I finish my degree and sell my house.

This sounds funny even as I type but it's all about goals. I sneak in an occasional three-mile run and protein shake just to remind my body that I know what's going on.

There's the public self I present to my place of employment, the private self that knows better and the persona or person I'd like to be. I'd like to treasure every moment ... I'd like to have a moment! Part of any given day is knowing the things we must do vs. the things we'd prefer to do.

What makes setting goals so special is the idea of setting forth a direction of our own choosing as opposed to the doing those tasks that allow for paying bills and putting food on the table.

I will go forward from here with subject specific posts, namely how does one at any age, keep up with new apps, varied platforms and numerous programming languages to present a combination of the all the parts that make up the whole self - public and private = person. I like the assignment of finding your voice - is that the same as finding your self?

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a public vs private persona. This is a really great sample piece-- very well written!

    Good job, and it's nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting. I think eventually private personas will turn into public personas as new media technology grows. It's one of the reasons why I shunned Facebook and Twitter since their inception. I only started learning to use Twitter for this class! I look forward to reading more. Group D for the win! =o)

    ReplyDelete